Thursday, 11 November 2010
Belgian Beer Bread (part one)
I first made a standard whole wheat loaf with dried yeast just to get into the swing of things (and remind myself how bread works). That was pretty tasty, so then I kept the same recipe but replaced the packet yeast with the dregs of some St Bernardus Prior 8, which of course is bottle-fermented so has loads of the necessary slimy mung at the bottom of it.
Not enough, however, as it turns out. The results of this one were not spectacular, to say the least. It just didn't rise very much at all. Given the quantity of dried yeast I put in the first loaf, I'm pretty sure the problem is that there simply is not enough yeast in the average bottle of live Belgian ale to get things going properly.
I'll keep it there for a few days, and then, once I see some serious frothing action, I'll take some of the glop for a new loaf and see how that goes, with results (and hopefully a final recipe) to be posted here. That is, assuming Fiona doesn't bin the goo first.
Update: See results here.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Great idea, I look forward to know your results with this starter.ReplyDelete
I once used dry S-33 brewing yeast in the usual recipe we used before and it worked well.
Maybe using the refermentation yeast left in such beer bottles could characterize a little the aroma of the bread.
Let us know! ;)
Of course then you'll have to convert + post the recipe for us lazy ones using a bread machine!ReplyDelete
I'm planning on making a starting using homebrewer's yeast (Wyeast Belgian Strong Yeast).ReplyDelete
It's about 8 bucks for one starter, but I should be able to get several loafs out of it if I keep it alive. I'll try to come back and post my results when I try it out!